Egg freezing (human oocyte cryopreservation) is a process in which a woman’s eggs are stimulated with medications and extracted in a 20-30-minute process (a needle inserted through the vagina) so they can be cryopreserved (frozen) for several years. When pregnancy is attempted, the eggs will be thawed and fertilized (In Vitro fertilization) with sperm to produce embryos, which can be transferred back into the uterus. Conception can occur within two weeks. At AFCT, the process of egg freezing utilizes a specialized vitrification (freezing) technique, which results in over 99% survival of the oocyte (egg) and lead to high pregnancy rates equivalent to fresh In Vitro Fertilization.
Egg Freezing Benefits
- Egg freezing is a safe process and numerous studies demonstrate that infants born have no increase in any abnormalities compared to normal conception.
- Egg freezing has no detrimental impact on your ovaries, as you typically ovulate only about 300 of the 300, 000 eggs found in puberty. During the egg freezing process, we would like to preserver about 10 or more oocytes.
- If a woman undergoes egg freezing at age 30 and plans to conceive at age 35, her chances of conception are substantially higher and the risk of Down syndrome and other genetic disorders is substantially lower.
- Egg freezing utilizes the process of vitrification, which dehydrates the egg with an antifreeze-like substance and rapidly freezes the egg, meaning it can be preserved for several years.
- This process is ideal for women who would like to postpone family planning to as many years as they choose while they are working on a career or finding the right partner.
- Egg freezing can be done in as little as two weeks, and it is now commonly utilized in patients who are diagnosed with cancer to preserve their fertility.
- Egg freezing is beneficial for women with endometriosis, as they may require ovarian surgery or have other autoimmune diseases, which can reduce ovarian reserve and pregnancy rates.
- Egg freezing can be utilized in couples that are concerned about producing several embryos, as they can fertilize 10 of their eggs during IVF and freeze any additional eggs for the future.