PCOS: Did You Know?
- Ten studies of 522 women with PCOS found a 4-fold increase in depression among PCOS patients.
- Anxiety scores were also higher in women with PCOS.
- Higher depression scores were observed in obese compared to non-obese patients.
- Women with higher rates of insulin resistance, menstrual irregularities, and hirsutism had higher rates of depression.
- Improving insulin resistance with diet and exercise may improve depression and anxiety.
- Data from 7,447 Patients with high cardiovascular risk reported that a Mediterranean diet with extra-virgin olive oil or nuts reduced their risk of heart attacks. This can be applicable in women with PCOS as well.
- Moderate weight loss of 5-10% lowers insulin and can increase spontaneous ovulation rates.
It is important to follow a diet regimen appropriate to PCOS to manage the condition and minimize risk factors. At Advanced Fertility Center of Texas, we work closely with Lisanne Wellness Center to provide comprehensive individualized programs that often include nutrition, lifestyle management, and a variety of weight loss programs.
The Advanced Fertility Center of Texas (AFCT) has several fertility treatment centers located throughout Houston metropolitan area. We offer the most comprehensive list of state-of-the-art fertility services.